Monday, November 23, 2009

Trimming & Worming & Measuring & Fitting Gloves

Boy, it's when one does all that stuff it really hits home how many horses 11 is! Only trimmed 6, the other 2 that need it will get it soon, the farrier had another few appointments. And, when we gathered them all up and wormed them, I measured them with a stick for the first time! I always "weigh" them with the tape before worming. It turns out that my horse is the talles! He's over 15 h! No wonder it seems like I'm always looking down on daughter's horse when we ride.

The New Gloves.
I have a pretty varied assortment of boots, the Easyboot original, the Bare, the old Old Mac, and I'm strongly aware of the necessity of a good fit. So, I ordered the Easyboot Glove/Glue-on Fit Kit and, a week after a trim on my boy, sized him at a .05, which is halfway between a 1 and a 0, on the fronts. So, I ordered a pair and, again after a trim, tried them.

Hmm, it sure seemed like they were going to be too small. Unlike the "shells" they sent in the Fit Kit, the Gloves have stuff around the heels that causes them to be less flexible. Well, I had confidence in my original fitting, so I stuffed them on his right (smaller) hoof and waited a day. They now look really perfect. If one is accomstomed to the old easy boot, they look too small, but EasyCare has really lowered the profile on these and they are intended to just barely come up from the weight bearing surface of the hoof.

Today I will see if I can take the now, hopefully, enlarged boot and put it on his left hoof. Only then will I know if they are a real fit. And, I'll have to get one of those handy little rasps for between trimmings! He's always tender for a couple of weeks after a trim even though he's been bare his entire life.

No comments:

Post a Comment