Sunday, November 1, 2009

I'm envious, I said.

I told my instructor I was envying my niece who is making more progress in dressage than I. Oh, she said, so you want to learn dressage? Then she told me lots and lots of 20 meter circles are involved (I can't seem to canter in a circle, something about all that centrifigal force) and I needed to learn to ride with "contact." On the other hand, she complimented my "nice quiet hands" and noted that it was easy to tell that I wasn't balancing myself on the reins. So, now I know how to ride with contact, and she gave me some tips on getting my horse to "round" by closing the hand on one side until he lowers his head, then releasing, and then going to the other side. At least we're good at trotting 20 meter circles because we did it for a long time. One reason my niece may be progressing more quickly than I, is because she rides more than once a week.

We brought Merlin home Friday and he was so happy to see the baby. This morning they were "hugging," that's the only way to describe it. They were facing each other, and holding their heads side by side, touching. Merlin was lipping the baby's face. It was too sweet for words.

I've got my "workout" room set up, I can treadmill away to my heart's content while listening to any kind of music I want and looking out at the road and the horses and dogs. Way better than the club, which I've put on hold. I just need to get a Pilates mat for home so I can keep on a routine when I'm working from home instead of from court.

This must be the "Turtle" path to the Tevis. Who hasn't learned the fable of the tortoise and the hare? "Slowly but surely wins the race." I'll settle for starting the race at this point, because I won't start unless I believe I can finish.

3 comments:

  1. I'm doing an analysis of my monthly riding on Farley for the last 2 years and it works out to something like a ridiculous 30+ hours in the saddle per month between arena work and trail work. So don't be too hard in yourself.

    And afterall - I placed dead last in every class I entered last weekend!!!!! :) But the pictures so such an improvment in both me and Farley that I don't mind too much. it makes it worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also wanted to say that I feel like learning a particular "dicipline" really helped me. It gave my riding lessons focus. I highly reccomend dressage!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also - riding with contact has made her lighter - not heavier. it seems totally counterintutive, but it's true!

    ReplyDelete