Wednesday, November 4, 2009

In an interesting post on the goals of legal scholarship, Marc DeGirolami writes:

[It] doesn’t particularly matter to me who is or is not interested in my ideas. It probably is true that I hope vaguely that someone, somewhere, now or in the future, will be interested in them. If no one ever thought them at all interesting, I would likely find that regrettable. But I do not write with the purpose to address a particular audience. Even when something I write addresses a particular scholar’s claims, I do not take that scholar, or his epigones, to be my audience. In fact, I usually give no thought at all to whom I am writing “for.”

When I write, I don’t really care who cares, or why they care, or whether someone will care in the future for reasons I cannot guess. I am not writing with the practical aim of influence in mind, or with an ulterior motive, or with the hope that I will make it easier, or harder, for pastry chefs to frost cakes with greater velocity or skill. This is different, I think, than saying that one ought not care if one’s ideas are put to deeply harmful use, or that one ought to be utterly indifferent to the consequences of one’s ideas. Rather, it is to say that one should not have as one’s conscious writing object the excitement of anyone’s cares.

So, do I care??? Hmmm. I guess I'm disapointed that I seldom get comments, and when I e-mail a person, I definately want an acknowledgment. I suppose one of my great joys is communication, and because I don't play and sing, photos and words are it. So, do I care???? Hmmmm.....

1 comment:

  1. I've talked to other people who want comments and are not getting them - the best way to get comments is to comment on a LOT of other people's blogs, while signed into blogger. More often then not, the other people commenting will click on your blog and read it from your comment. I think that this method is much more effective than the blog rolls.

    ReplyDelete