Sunday, August 30, 2009

What are you the most afraid of?


I was listening to NPR the other day and the host asked the guest, a well-know successful recording artist, "What are you the most afraid of?" His answer: Failure. I began to think, what am I most afraid of? It isn't failure--I give it the ol' college try without fear. So, what is it?

To be sure, there are many,many things in life of which to be afraid. Pain, death, failure, "fear itself," hmmm. Perhaps there aren't as many different things as I thought. It appears that everything can be categorized under one of these headings.

I think my biggest fear is, not death, but dying with having my life not count for anything. This must be a common fear, witness all of the testamentary endowments. People do try to leave something good behind, and that would come under "fear of death."

Fear of death: pointless
Fear of pain (physical AND emotional): some is unavoidable so fear is pointless. With optional exposure to pain, merely do the equation--balance the possible pain against the possible pleasure/enjoyment/advancement--and make a decision.
Fear of failure: see above, but failure is only painful if you let it be painful.
Fear of fear: your choice.

I can see how a fearless life can lead to a joyful life. Have a good Sunday.

1 comment:

  1. mmm...food for thought. I think I fear being helpless. Pain and injury do not frighten me beyond the fear that I will not be able to do for myself.

    ReplyDelete